Hello 5th graders! You will be taking part in many exciting learning experiences throughout the 2017-2018 school year. We will also be engaged in various technology projects for all subject areas this year.
Each week students will be taking turns visiting Suncrest to take part in activities with the residents that live there. They will be assisting in a Bingo game each week and upon their return they will complete a reflection piece about their experience. Please watch for their reflection in our bi-weekly newsletter.
We will be learning many new and exciting concepts during the first half of the year. Students will learn about the following:
- In literacy, students will be reading the anchor text from Houghton Mifflin and use skills such as; cause/effect, word choice, author’s purpose, drawing conclusions, main ideas/details.
- In book club, we will be studying Chris Van Allsburg's picture books. Students will practice making inferences, connections, visualization and asking questions. Students will also read The Watson's go to Birmingham-1963. This book is told from the perspective of a ten year old boy as he travels with his African American family from Flint to Birmingham, Alabama during the Civil Rights Movement.
- In science, we will be learning Space Systems: Stars and the Solar System and Earth Systems.
- In social studies, we will be learning about government, the meeting of the Three Worlds prior to 1500, and colonization of America.
- In writing, we will be writing a personal narrative, friendly letter, and a research report about an environmental issue. We will also be focusing on organization, word choice, character development, research process, supporting opinions, and editing their work.
We are excited to get to know all of you this school year!